Homosexuality- How Prevalent Is This Practice In Tamale Metropolis In The Northern Region Of Ghana?

Authors

  • Nabia Alhassan John
  • Seidu Yahaya
  • Ummu Salamah Yakubu

Abstract

At such a height of the global outcry on homosexuality this research has been carried out necessary to gage the level of indulgence and people’s perception of it. Using Tamale Metropolis as a case study the study estimates the extent of prevalence, people’s perception of its source, the level of acceptability and the role of secular education in the phenomenon. A cluster random sampling technique was used to select (100) respondents in the Metropolis to fill questionnaires in which the researchers had made an underlining assumption that homosexuality would not be accepted in the society. The data collected were analysed by the use of SPSS (17) software. Hypotheses set was tested by the use of appropriate statistical tools such as Chi-square test, Analysis of variance and Correlation analysis while inferring from frequency tables and bar charts. Findings suggested among other things that majority (53%) of the respondents perceive the practice to be both evil and foreign to the society. As regards how-acquired, 53% of respondents, say it’s from peer pressure with the remaining 47% putting it down to other factors including, financial influence, emotional trauma and genetic factors. To mitigate the scourge of the practice recommendations to mitigate the scourge included passing a law to restrict homosexuality, launching a massive public educational campaign to explain it and to encourage many others to treat victims humanely.

Downloads

Published

2015-09-30

How to Cite

John, N. A., Yahaya, S., & Yakubu, U. S. (2015). Homosexuality- How Prevalent Is This Practice In Tamale Metropolis In The Northern Region Of Ghana?. ADRRI Journal of Physical and Natural Sciences, 1(3), 1-24. Retrieved from https://journals.adrri.org/index.php/adrrijpns/article/view/170

Issue

Section

Article